Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyer
Call To Schedule A Consultation 772-905-8692

FAQs About Child Support in Florida


In Florida, all parents are expected to provide financially for their children, even in the event that the spouses become divorced. Child support is one of the most contentious terms in any divorce. One parent may worry that a judge will order them to pay child support, while the other may become concerned that they will not receive the full amount of support they need. For many people, the concept of child support is straightforward enough, but they still have many questions. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about child support, and the answers to them.

Can I Change My Child Support Payments?

Regardless of whether you are the recipient of child support payments or the one making these payments, there are times when you can change the original amount of child support ordered. To do this, you must show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances, and you must file a petition with the court with your request. If the court approves the request, the judge can make the modification. Child support can only be changed after a judge has approved the change.

How Much Time Must My Child Spend with Me Before Changing Support?

One of the instances in which the amount of child support can be changed is if your child starts spending more time with you. Child support is intended to cover childcare expenses such as food, clothing, and other basic needs. If you start spending more time with the child, you will incur more expenses and so, you can seek to change the original order. In most cases, you can petition the court for a change in child support if the child spends 20 percent or more overnight visits with you instead of the other parent.

Should I Get a Receipt for Child Support Payments?

Yes. Child support is a contentious issue, and spouses do not always get along after divorce. If a dispute arises in the future about the payments you have made, having a receipt can help you resolve the dispute quickly and easily, instead of taking it to court.

When Can I Stop Paying Child Support?

The obligation to pay child support typically ends when the child turns 18 years old or when they graduate from high school. However, there are some exceptions. One of these is when the child suffers from a disability. In this case, a judge may extend child support payments until the time when the child can support themselves financially.

Should I Call a Florida Family Lawyer?

Regardless of whether the divorce process is just starting, or you are now in a child support dispute, it is always advised to work with a Port St. Lucie divorce lawyer. At Eighmie Law Firm, P.A., our skilled attorneys can help you secure a favorable decision on child support matters, and can resolve any dispute that arises in the future. Call us today at (772) 905-8692 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation.





MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2015 - 2024 Eighmie law Firm, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab